Students in the 3rd and 4th year of their Brazilian undergraduate program are eligible to apply for a CAPES/CNPq scholarship to pursue a unique undergraduate placement at a CALDO university for up to 12 months.
The placement may involve the following components, depending on your selected CALDO institution:
- English or French language course (2 months)
- Academic study (up to 8 months) in English or French
- Research internship (2 months following the period of academic study)
Programs of Study
Each CALDO university offers a wide range of undergraduate programs. Visit their respective websites for a listing:
Note: Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacology, Pharmacy are professional programs that are NOT available at CALDO for visiting undergraduate students. However alternative programs like Biochemistry, Chemistry, Microbiology and Health Sciences are options and programs that students may take.
Geology, Nutrition and Food Science courses are not available at the University of Alberta to visiting students; Nutrition is offered only in French at the Universities of Laval and Ottawa.
Get personalized admission assistance
If you need extra help, we will help you sort through the hundreds of individual degree programs so that you can find a program that fits your needs and interests perfectly.
For personalized assistance, contact CALDO.
Candidates nominated by their University
- Candidates must be citizens of Brazil. Students with Canadian or dual citizenship of Canada and Brazil are not eligible for this program.
- Candidates must be currently attending college or university in Brazil.
Candidates should have completed 20% but no more than 90 % of their required degree in Brazil.
- Candidates must have superior academic abilities. Transcripts should show a consistently high level of performance, indicative of good academic potential.
- Candidates must be proficient in English or French. Candidates must submit a language score report (TOEFL or IELTS) or proof of French Language Proficiency, for those interested in a French program.
- Students must have a minimum language proficiency of 5.5 IELTS or 70 iBT for most programs except engineering and art & design.
- Engineering and Art & Design - students must have at least 86 iBT (21 in each section), 6.5 IELTS (minimum 5.0 in each section)
- Students with a TFI score of 600 or DELF/DALF: B1) will be considered admissible to an academic program but will require further French Language Courses
- Students with a TFI score of 681 or higher (DELF/DALF: B2) will be admissible for direct entry into academic programs.
- Candidates must present official and translated transcripts from an institution recognized by the Ministry of Higher Education.
- Candidates must agree to remain in Brazil for double the number of months they studied in Canada when they complete the program (an exception may be granted if the student graduates in Brazil and goes abroad for graduate study).
Candidates applying independently
Candidates applying independently must meet all the above requirements, plus the following:
- Candidates in HEI through ProUni or Sisu (Unified Selection System) require grades at ENEM higher than 600
- Candidates must be awarded honors/prizes at Jovem Cientista, CNPq Iniciacao Cientifica—PIBIC or CAPES PIBID
- Candidates have to present the proper documentation to prove participation in the programs above.
For more information please visit the Science without Borders website.
Application Process for July/September 2013 Admission
Scholarship Application & Pre-Selection
- Ensure you meet the Science without Borders scholarship eligibility requirements listed above.
- Apply for the scholarship through the CALDO section on the Science without Borders website.
Note: A formal call for undergraduate scholarship applications for CALDO will be available on the Science without Borders website November 20 to January 14, 2013.
- CAPES/CNPq will pre-select qualified applicants, whose names will be provided to CALDO and who will be directed to complete the CALDO undergraduate pre-admission form.
- Selected students will be invited by email to complete the online CALDO undergraduate pre-admission application form by March1st to March 8th, 2013. The pre-admissions form assists CALDO in matching students to programs. This is not a formal application and admission is not guaranteed. Note: Only students who have received an email invitation from CALDO are eligible to complete the online pre-admissions form.
You will need to scan and upload the following documents as part of your pre-admission form:
- two scanned copies of all your Official Transcripts [the original(s) in Portuguese and the other should be an OFFICIALLY translated English version]
- one scanned copy of your Language Proficiency Test Scores
- a scanned copy of the CALDO Letter of Permission (PDF) completed by your home university. The letter of permission template is available within the application.
- Visual Arts and Design students will also have to upload a portfolio of their work.
All pre-admission applications--including scanned documents--must be submitted by March 8th 2013. Please note that your application will be incomplete and will not be assessed until ALL the required documents are received.
Formal University Application
- Pre-admission forms and documents will be reviewed by a panel from CALDO and each candidate’s qualifications and admissibility will be assessed.
- CALDO will match students to a CALDO university based on their preference and the availability of a program that best suits their interests and language.
- Qualified students will be notified via email by April 15, 2013 and advised to submit an official application for admission to a specified CALDO university.
- Students will need to complete the formal application procedure to the indicated CALDO university and have all their completed documents sent to the University by courier by April 30, 2013. This is the deadline by which students should have also applied for housing/residence.
- Final admissions letters will then be sent to successful applicants by May 20, 2013.